Nueces Canyon Chamber of Commerce
Nueces Canyon Chamber of Commerce
Nueces Canyon Chamber of Commerce
RELATED ARTICLES
  • MIlitary History of Camp Wood

      The ruins of Camp Wood lie at the northern edge of the town of Camp Wood in Real County, Texas. Camp Wood was one of a series of one-company Army posts on the Texas frontier in the Nineteenth century. It was established by Company G, First Infantry Regiment in May 1857 and abandoned in October of the same year. Camp Wood was re-occupied by Company K, Second Cavalry Regiment in January 1860. Company K remained there until the regiment withdrew from Texas at the onset of the Civil War in March 1861.

      At this time, there is no comprehensive history of the post. The purpose of this paper is to assemble in a single document the history of Camp Wood as a US Army installation from its establishment in 1857 until its abandonment in 1861.

      The story of Camp Wood must be told like any other story. It must have a setting, both in physical space and in time.- It must have characters, the actors who drive and are driven by the . . story. It must have a plot, a series of events and actions which tum the descriptions of time and place into a backdrop for the narrative.

      Click here to read the rest ...

  • The Uvalde & Northern Railway and the Town of Camp Wood

      The town of Camp Wood and the railroad were established for the harvesting of cedar and kaolin deposits within and around the Nueces Canyon and Edwards Plateau area. According to A. W. Spaight, about 20 percent or 90,478 acres was cedar woodland available to be harvested.1 Cedar, a much-needed commodity, was used for house foundations, fuel, lumber, fence posts, and telephone poles. William A Buchanan and Jeff Godbold discovered kaolin, a type of rare clay for making fine china, east of Camp Wood about 1888. Mining began about 1906, and in 1931, test drilling revealed a potential remaining 126,000 tons available to be mined.

      With the availability of cedar and kaolin, F. J. Rheiner and F. A. Piper of Uvalde and Will A. Morris, Fred C. Adams, W. F. Brice, and J. J. Ford of San Antonio wanted to harvest these resources as a profitable venture. This business interest resulted in “[t]he Uvalde and Northern Railway Company [being] chartered on March 14, 1914 with the objective of constructing a railroad from Uvalde to a site near Camp Wood Creek in Real County.”

      Click here to read the rest ...

 

Nueces Canyon Chamber of Commerce
This site is hosted and maintained by
Web-Author.com
© Nueces Canyon Chamber of Commerce
Nueces Canyon Chamber of Commerce
PO Box 369 Camp Wood, Texas, 78833
Phone: (830) 597-6241 , Fax: (830) 597-3357
Email : nuecescanyoncofc@gmail.com